Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stomach flu

Today was a challenge to say the least. I picked up my son yesterday early from school after a call from the nurse. Poor guy threw up in class. He was pretty sick and preceded to vomit untill he finally went to sleep.Unfortunately, and probably unavoidably, I awoke in the middle of the night with the same affliction. By the time I dragged myself out of bed, I felt very weak and light headed. I knew though that I really had no one to call so late notice to teach the 8:30 spinning class,by then it was 7:30, so I had to rally my strength and go. I didn't want to let down all the members who arrive so early for a bike to then have class cancelled. I figured if I had to, I would teach off the bike. I was just hoping not to get sick or faint in class.

Luckily, I made it through, even though it bothered me that I couldn't teach at the energy level that I prefer. I hope it didn't affect the class quality too much. Moral of the story is, I should not get praise for teaching a spinning class while having stomach flu. If I had the choice, I should not have taught. I should have listened to my body, which was saying "slow down, let this germ get out", not to ignore it. Many of us who train alot stop listening to our bodies. It's about pushing it, always getting that workout in. The thing is you can do real damage to yourself if you always ignore symptoms, whether it is flu like or pain in a joint or muscle. It is possible to train TOO MUCH. You will stop seeing results and be more fatigued than before. Giving your body rest every so often, especially when sick, will actually lead to better perfomance in the future.

So no blue ribbon for me. I should have stayed in bed! But the music was good...

Here is today's long version of Grammys 2010 (50 minutes)

1.We Weren't Born to Follow- Bon Jovi (warm up)
2.Womanizer- Britney Spears (run)
3.When Love Takes Over- David Guetta (run)
4.Run This Town- Jay-Z (climb)
5.Jai Ho!- A.R.Rahman (fast run)
6.Single Ladies- Beyonce (jumps)
7.Poker Face- Lady Gaga (climb)
8.It Happens- Sugar land (recovery run)
9.Use Somebody (remix)- Kings of Leon (run with resistance)
10.You Bleong to Me- Taylor Swift (seated sprints)
11.Celebration- Madonna (run)
12. I Gotta Feeling- Black Eyed Peas (run with resistance)
13.Sober- P!nk (cooll down)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Remeber to wipe down those bikes and wash your hands. Something nasty is going around...Now I am off to bed.

Portia
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment