Thursday, January 7, 2010


It's snowing...a lot. I have to teach class tonight at 7:45 and I am wondering if anyone will show up? I'll be there. I normally teach 4 days a week, Wednesday 8:30am, Thursday 7:45pm, Friday 9:15am and Saturday 8:30am (this week I also taught Tuesday and I am doing class on Sunday too!). I started out just as a sub and then had one class, so having four now feels like an accomplishment. I don't seem to struggle with it physically, although sometimes I feel a little fatigued on Friday morning since I just taught 12 hours earlier. I do struggle with the music though. I always strive to have each class seem new and exciting, especially for myself so I can keep my energy up, and teaching so many days it's difficult to use the same playlist 4 days in a row. On the other hand, it is difficult to have worked through two new ones each week, at least to my satisfaction. I HATE being unprepared. Spontaneity is not my thing. It's a weakness, I'm sure. I know I just hated taking group exercise classes, especially spinning, where it felt like the instructor just showed up, threw on some music and did whatever. You may sweat, but I know I really try to have a "ride" mapped out during the class. Maybe we are concentrating hills,or sprints, or a combination of both, but there is definitely thought put into it. I load my iPod every week and jump on the spin bike I have at home and map out the workout. I'll listen to each song and decide if it works for spinning and what it can be used for, is it jumps, a run, a climb, a sprint, etc. Then I try to arrange the music in a way that makes sense. You wouldn't have the first song be sprints for instance. You need alot more time to be fully warmed up before doing anything real intense. I hope it shows during class. I think most people appreciate it when it seems someone else put effort into making an experience better. Or maybe I am doing a ton extra work for no reason. No, I'm kidding. It's the way I teach, I can't help it.
Back to tonight's class...I also hate using the same music 4 times straight because I feel bad when members take two or more of my classes and the music is the same. I am told not to worry about it but it still bugs me. I haven't been at the Thursday class for several weeks because of the holidays, so tonight I decided to ring in the New Year one last time. So I'm doing New Year Eve's Party playlist one last time. They never got to hear it so hopefully it will be fun. Hopefully I won't be the only one there!

So here is New Year Eve Party playlist (54 minutes):

1.Let's Get the Party Started- P!nk (warm up)
2.Let's Go Crazy- Prince (standing run, seated climb at end)
3.You Shook Me All Night Long (run)
4.You Gotta Fight for Your Right to Party- Beastie Boys (run with resistance)
5.Let's Get it Started- Black Eyed Peas (climb)
6.Mony Mony- Billy Idol (recovery run)
7.Just Dance- Lady Gaga (climb)
8.Y.M.C.A.- Village People (run)
9.December, 1963- Frankie Valli&The Four Seasons (climb)
10.Rock 'n Roll All Nite- KISS (recovery run)
11.In Da Club- 50 Cent (seated climb)
12. U can't Touch This- MC Hammer (jumps)
13.Don't Stop The Music- Rihanna (run with resistance)
14.Happy New Year- ABBA (cool down)

Tomorrow I might pull out an old one, Spring Break playlist maybe to contrast the cold and snow outside. Although we all complain, if you really look and listen, it is a beautiful day.

Stay warm and drive safe.

Portia:)

1 comment:

  1. Portia I really appreciate how prepared you are and how much effort you put into your class but I wouldn't object to hearing a playlist twice in a week or hearing an old playlist. As long as it's well-organized it's fine with me.

    BTW I too was in the ER and as an inpatient with a heart thing before Christmas. In the end it was gratifying to be told that I had the "heart of an athlete" and the "cleanest arteries" they had ever seen. I credited it to 30 yrs as a vegetarian and daily great classes like your's, Constance's, Heather's, Quinn's and so many others at FFC. So keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete