Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Starting 2010


So it is the start of a new year. A new decade, wow. Time to step back and look at your life. Appreciate everything you have. Think about what you would want to change. Decide which things you actually can and which you cannot. Then make a plan.
I was in the emergency room before Christmas. My younger sister was with me, thank God. She is the funniest person I know and a great distraction. I was there since my heart had been acting funny for about 6 or 7 weeks and I finally got scared enough (and my mom and sister scared me too) to have it checked out. Turns out after all the tests, ekg, echo, bloodwork, 24 hour heart monitor, stress test, I am fine. I do have an abnormal ekg though, but they say it is not life threatening. Basically, my heart does a little half beat every so often, that doesn't pump blood, and it gets my real rhythm off. So my heart stops for a second, pauses, and then catches up. It feels very strange to say the least. They are called Premature Ventricular Contractions or PVCs, but they are only dangerous if you have too many of them in a row, since then blood flow can be compromised.
Anyway, while me and my sister were waiting in the er room, her sitting drinking a slushie, me in a gown, laying on the hospital bed hooked up to an IV and monitors, I start thinking of songs that have to do with doctors or being sick. The song "Heart Attack" by Olivia Newton John comes up. We both start singing. The nurses and doctor either thought we were very entertaining or crazy. Maybe both.
So there an idea for a playlist is born. It kind of morphed into a body/mind New Year resolution thing after that. I think it is easier to see it or hear it for it to make sense.

The first new spinning playlist of 2010:
Body/ New Year You (short version) 40.7 minutes

1.Physical- Olivia Newton-John (warm up)
2.Bad Case of Loving You- Robert Palmer (run)
3.Heart Attack- Olivia Newton-John (run with resistance)
4.Harder to Breathe- Maroon 5 (climb)
5.Let's Talk About Sex- Salt-N-Pepa (recovery run)
6.Live Like We're Dying- Kris Allen (sprints)
7.Body Language-Jesse McCartney (seated climb)
8.In My Head- Jason Derulo (run)
9.Live Your Life- T.I. (heavy climb)
10.Only the Good Die Young- Billy Joel (run with resistance)
11.Every Breath You Take- The Police (cool down)

Saturday's class will be a little longer but I haven't narrowed down the music yet. I'll post an updated list later.

To me, New Year resolutions are sort of silly. Ideally we should be trying to be the best person we can everyday. Some days are harder than others, some days we don't get there at all, but you don't have to wait until January 1st to change anything, especially your attitude. My Dad used to wake me up every morning when I was a kid and say "Portia, Today is the Day".
I think the Swedish proverb says it all:

Fear less;
Hope more.

Eat less;
Chew more.

Whine less;
Breathe more.

Talk less;
Say more.

Love more,
And all good
things will be yours!

Portia:)
p.s. Today is the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment