Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Art of an Apology

"I'm Sorry." Why are those words so hard to say most of the time? Whether it is to comfort for pain someone is going through, whether it is from a mistake we made, whether it is from pain we directly caused, whether we just plain screwed up, it always seems hard to do. Especially if we are admitting being wrong. Maybe it is pride getting in the way. Maybe it is admitting we are not perfect. But it is important. A good, meaningful apology can work magic.
Yesterday, during my "bad day", I had an encounter in the childcare center of the gym. I bring my son there a few times a week while I teach or workout. Yesterday was already stressful before I got there. Then the class I was going to take was being subbed by a new instructor, and my friend, so she needed some help. The class got started late, her timing was a little off so it ran long...I didn't want to abandon her. I remember how hard it was in the beginning. So long story short, I was 4 minutes late picking my son up in the childcare. They told me they were charging me $10. I told them I was late because I was helping another instructor with her class, not moving slow and losing track of time. Well, I think I was a little too rude, even though I do think I deserved  a break considering I am a fellow employee and the circumstances of my tardiness. We are supposed to all be on the same team.
The fee was taken off my son's account once I spoke to my boss, so no worries about that. I was concerned though about the relationship I need to have with the people looking after my son, so I knew an apology was in order. It's funny, how you get kind of nervous when you apologize. You do need to think about it ahead of time for it to have meaning and make sense, and be careful of the "half-ass" apology, or the one that really isn't and you are still blaming the other person. Those don't work. Admitting you were wrong is difficult but can be admiring if done right, with thoughtfulness and compassion.
When I went in there this morning, the two who were there yesterday were not working or I would have spoken to them directly. Instead I talked to the manager of the childcare. I could tell as I approached her she was bracing for a complaint. Not too many people seek you out to praise you or apologize, usually it is because they are upset or dissatisfied. As soon as I began speaking though, and I said I was sorry if I was rude and that I know how hard they work and the stress of working with small children, her face softened and she smiled. She said thank you and promised to pass it along.
And I feel great about it. I could have walked by, but I'm glad I didn't. Never felt so good about admitting I was a jerk.

See told you today was going to be a FANTASTIC day!

Class was good too, although I felt slightly unprepared since I had to scratch the original playlist and make a new one yesterday. Saturday will be even better since it will be the second run through.

This was an idea in the works for awhile, but I deemed it appopriate because of the stereo break down of last week resulting in moving the spinning classes to the HOT yoga studio.  So here it is...

Fire and Ice (44 minutes)

1.Hot in Herre- Nelly (warm up)
2.Hot N Cold- Katy Perry (run)
3.She's So Cold- The Rolling Stones (run)
4.Burning Down the House- The Used (climb)
5.Cold as Ice- Foreigner (runs and climbs)
6.Ice Ice Baby- Vanilla Ice (jumps)
7.Some Like It Hot- The Power Station (recovery run)
8.We Didn't Start the Fire- Billy Joel (alternating standing run and seated sprints)
9.Great Balls of Fire- Jerry Lee Lewis (recovery run)
10.Temperature- Sean Paul (run)
11.Funky Cold Medina- Tone-Loc (run with resistance)
12.Ring of Fire- Johnny Cash (cool down)

I'll add a few for Saturday if you want to check back!

Have a great day! And remember I think being in LOVE actually means you DO have to say you are sorry-

Portia
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment