Friday, January 15, 2010

The First Time

It's hard to try something new. Especially something you don't know how to do and especially in front of a bunch of people. When we were children, young children, we didn't really have that fear, that feeling of self-consciousness. Developmentally it must come and for good reason, you should know you can't try to fly by jumping off the playground climber. But it is sad to lose that innocence, the feeling you can do anything. As adults, I think it is even more challenging. We have to make TIME to try something new. Accept changing things a little, varying the routine. I think we get stuck doing the same thing out of, I have to say it, laziness, plain old comfort and of course, fear.
Last week I taught an Intro to Spinning class at the gym. It was a big turn out of both old and young, new members and current ones. They were all ready to try something new. Since the environment was alot less intimidating than my regular weekend class, I could tell they were much more at ease. I could still sense some nervousness, but they were at least all in the same spot. I told them about technique and what to expect and to know it will be difficult in the beginning. The key is not to give up. Starting something, whether it is to lose weight, get in shape, quit smoking, change anything really, is easy. It's the keeping it up that is the hard part. I tell them to take it one class at a time. Pretty soon they will be the ones who are doing the intimidating.
Thursday night's class was full and alot of fun. I think I had about 10-12 members who were new, who took the intro class. It really made me happy to see them there. Next week will be the test though, to see if they keep going. Today, there was a cute couple who were new, I remember them from the intro class, and I was watching the husband during since I could tell he was struggling. He almost made it through, he had only a few minutes left when he stopped. I saw him afterwards and congratulated him for doing so well, and told him he should have stuck it out. He told me that he felt if he had made it "it wouldn't have been a good class." In other words, he accepted that he wasn't going to complete his first real spinning class,he almost seemed to want it that way. His goal was to get there. He'll be back and he'll make it soon.
So try something new when you can. And remember it isn't the start that matters, it's the finish.

Today I used an older playlist from last spring. Here it is...

Alternative (50 minutes)

1.Just like Heaven- The Cure (warm up)
2.Memory- Sugarcult (run)
3.Just Can't Get Enough- Depeche Mode (jumps and runs)
4.Music is My Hot, Hot Sex- CSS (climb)
5.I Melt with You- Sugarcult (recovery run)
6.Ocean Avenue- Yellowcard (seated sprints)
7.Here (In Your Arms)- Hellogoodbye (recovery run)
8.Tubthumping- Chumbawamba (run with resistance)
9.When Did Your Heart Go Missing?- Rooney (run)
10.It's The End of The World as We Know It- R.E.M.(resistance build)
11.Beverly Hills- Weezer (heavy climb)
12.Lollipop- Mika (run)
13.The Middle- Jimmy Eat World (run with resistance)
14.Fidelity- Regina Spektor (cool down)


This is me trying to ice skate...my something new :)
Enjoy your weekend-
Portia

No comments:

Post a Comment